Friday, January 15, 2016

Welcoming the Wild Child

I'm writing of the Wild Child. *

Whether we are aware of it or not, we all have a Wild Child inside of us. It's the Child we were told must not interrupt adults, or get too dirty, or scream when angry and hurt. It's the Child that had to share when she didn't want to, or stop playing much too soon, or say please and thank you without understanding why. It's the Child that had to hurry past that interesting glob on the sidewalk, and was told not to stare at people or talk to strangers.

I'm not going to say these 'because-I-said-so' messages we learned where wrong or useless, I taught my children these very lessons. But the inescapable rules of society and civilized living have an effect beyond that which is intended. The Wild Child we were when we were born soon after becomes an outcast, an orphan, a wandering homeless shadow in the landscape of the Soul.

There are many books, articles, and blogs one can google to find much more on this subject. But I want to share how I found my Wild Child and why it was so vital that I bring her home to me.

It happened through a dream that led to another dream.

~~~I am in a large, beautiful Spanish villa. There are balconies and verandas full of bright potted flowers, and courtyards green with lush foliage. A Wild Child comes to me and wants to live in my villa. 

"No," I say, and although she is beautiful, I am not sure I like her. She is too wild. She is too much for me.

"Let me make a call and find you a home." Someone else is sure to want to foster her.

But this decision on my part is not what she wants and she disappears into my unconscious sleep.~~~

In the morning I woke up feeling upset and puzzled by my dream ego's reaction. Why, if I have such a large villa, would I not at least offer this orphan a room. Calling a placement agency is not something I would ever want to do.

I shared my dream with my dream circle who followed the protocol designed by Robert Moss, and I came up with an action plan - I would re-enter the dream and see if I could offer my Wild Child a place to live.

That night before bed, I went back into my dream. It was she found me easily, and we roamed the many rooms, courtyards and hidden alcoves of the villa with her leading the way. Wild Child and I bonded quickly and enjoyed each others' company immensely. And, surprise! That night I feel asleep without the usual worry for the burdensome cares of the world.

Then I dreamt this ~~~

It is evening and I am going to my mother's house. It is a much smaller version of my dream villa. I am upset with my mother for having neglected me and I tell her so three times. But she does not understand my feelings. I leave her and feel frustrated. I wake up with my Wild Child energy saying to my mother, "You have always abandoned and neglected me." ~~~

This feeling is my truth. It is the root of my Wild Child's banishment. But I no longer feel victimized by my mother's unconscious behaviors. She did and does her best to love me in a land that is foreign to her and not her true home. I have done a lot of healing work around this tender wound and know that although the rejection of my Wild Child started as a young girl, I do not have to hold my Wild Child at arms' length, or worse yet, banish her existence out of my waking consciousness, just because of cultural norms and mores. That repetitive, deadening pattern of rejection stops here.

The Wild Child comes bearing gifts of freedom of expression through mind, body and soul. She is holy, and wholly the essence of who I am, and who you are. She is as Wild as the animals that roam the Earth and that we take so much for granted. The Wild Child is the key to remembering what is essential to living with magic and grace. Wildness is a treasure we can't afford to lose. When Wildness is lost, our freedom disappears, and worry consumes our living hearts.

My teacher Bruce Gelfand says "Intending Creates - Creating Intends." In my villa there are many rooms and safe places. I invite the lost and orphaned Wild Childs to join me in joyful acts of artistic imagination and playful creativity. And my little mother, clutching her new coloring book and brightly hued pencils, is also welcomed.



*Note: the Wild Child archetype is not the same a feral child who is willfully abused and subjected to inhumane treatment. Also, if you look for google images of Wild Child, you will get a bunch of pictures of half-naked teenagers attempting to model sexiness. This is also is not the Wild Child...


2 comments: