Saturday, December 12, 2015

Freya's Necklace

Everyday I go on a Medicine Walk. I call it that because I usually walk alone and use the time to practice walking meditation, or listen to talks regarding things of a spiritual nature. During my walks something seemingly inconsequential, but extraordinary nevertheless, usually happens and today was no exception.

I walked listening to a talk regarding the Goddess Freya. I was surprised to learn of this story regarding the Norse Goddess of Love and War about a gold and amber necklace she considered her most beautiful possession. This necklace was a piece made by four dwarves that she paid for by granting each a day and night solely in her company. To acquire it Freya had to leave Valhalla and travel to Earth, her childhood home, across the Rainbow Bridge that spans the two realms. The acquisition speaks of a return to her origins and the reclamation of the source of Freya's power and magic. For this reason the necklace was later stolen by one of the other god's of the Norse pantheon and Freya had to go to war to retrieve it.

As I listened to the speaker recount how she had re-enacted this story in Sacred Drama and Ceremony, I suddenly recalled a necklace that I just recently put away because it had become a poignant reminder of loss. My necklace is not amber, but it is made of chestnut and amber colored stones. The speaker described how she had participants take apart a necklace that no longer served to remind them of love, and then reassemble the necklace in a way that symbolized their coming through an experience transformed. 

As I continued to walk deep in thought, I tried to imagine taking apart my necklace and redesigning it but, in my imagination, it refused to come apart. It was precisely at that moment that the ordinary became the extraordinary.

In my mind's eye, Freya appeared and surprised me by saying, "You earned the necklace, dear one, and paid the price. Now look to the sky for the symbol of transformation you seek."

In the twilight, the last light of the setting sun still brightened the mountains. On this cool and breezy autumn day a Hawk drifted across the sky tilting it's body one way then another. The movement showed first the amber colored underbelly, then, as it tilted the other way, it's sepia wings shone like burnished gold. The Hawk's tail blazed red like a flame fanned by a sudden gust of wind. 

I stopped walking awed by the beauty of this messenger and gazed through moist eyes as the Hawk slipped further away towards the mountains. In that instant I felt transformed. The thought of the necklace no longer evoked a sense of loss but of appreciation for the hours of dedication I had given in service through embodying the teachings of the Sacred Feminine. The Hawk, one of my Medicine Animals, reminds me that I am not alone as I continue forth along the Spiral Path reclaiming the freedom to fully own the power of the inner wisdom that is my birthright. 

It is said that Freya is a Goddess who loves to come unbidden. I thank Her for gracing me me today with the magic of love and healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment