Monday, November 16, 2015

the art of having nothing to say, or writing without the muse



Today is one of those days where I was so busy doing things that the things crowded out all thoughts of writing. No time to spare for it before leaving the house. And to top it off, we are doing a minor remodel in our home and even though it’s small, when it comes to remodeling your own home, the scope is not the issue. It’s always inconvenient. Messy. Disorienting.

Our project is off the hallway in an atrium that’s right smack in the middle of the house. The atrium can be seen from three sides - the living room, the family room, and the master bedroom. The aforementioned hallway is a mess because that’s the best way for the men to get to it, but the hallway is the conduit between the common living areas and the bedrooms, namely the master bedroom. So every time I had to go from kitchen to bedroom, which is quite often in the morning before I leave the house, I had to pass the men getting the work done which just completely throws me off my game. 

I’m a nester. And so is my muse. Together we make sure everything is done first, and like Russina dolls make sure any mess is neatly stacked and put away.. We have breakfast, do a load of laundry, make the bed…well, you know, the usual stuff. Then we get down to the business of writing. But, clearly, during remodeling my daily priorities are by necessity at the bottom of the list. And a whole new, but simple, set of Russian dolls takes their place.

Get dressed before I make my kitchen entrance. (Which confused me because I then brushed my teeth before breakfast.)
Walk cautiously on the stiff heavy paper laid down to protect the floor, which makes a very scary, loud crumpling noise. To the cat, that is.
Assure and soothe the cat.
Open and then remember to close the bedroom door. 
Don’t track the dirt from the paper to the bedroom carpet.
Turn off the heater, because the door to the atrium must be left open for the men. 
Therefore, undress and take shower in cold drafty bathroom. 
Smile somewhat reassuringly when recalling bathroom will be next project.
Re-dress.
And above all skip the complaints because the work is finally getting done. Yay! 

I’m sure you can see why I had no time this morning to be inspired. Too many to-doodles took the place of inspiration.

I think this is why most people don’t write because, even if there’s no remodeling, there’s always just too many obstacles to deal with. The thing is that typically for me, even when there’s lots of to-doodles, my muse tends to have words or phrases that she tosses at me and I write them down so that later I can decipher where those words are going to end up finding their niche. Not quite as neat as Russian dolls, though, more like a 1000 piece puzzle. 

Today there was nothing.

Even so, I enjoy sitting down to write anyway. I am by nature, not quite an optimist, more like a cheerful realist. And by the time I get home the men were tidying up just a bit so they can continue tomorrow. I think how sweet, then wave them good-by and get cracking on the load of laundry I didn't do in the morning. I figure I would then be free to receive inspiration from my muse because we have an hour before I have to start dinner. My muse however, is somewhat like my cat, and so if things aren’t done according to the typical routine she gets a bit crochety. Best leave her be.

So, cheerful realist that I am, I open my writing folder in my computer, and click on one of my files. There is a phrase just sitting there all by itself in a different font with lots of space above and below it. It is a very interesting phrase, although some might say it is a very non-sensical phrase. And I just might have to agree because I have no idea why I wrote it, or when, or even what it means. The fact that it’s in a different font makes me wonder if someone else got in my file, by accident of course. Hmmm…not likely. And it’s so odd I think it requires a formal introduction. 

Ladies and Gentlemen, I now present to you:



A Modicum of rationality and gobs of linearity




Yee-ikes! As you can see, this phrase is totally meaningless. Right? But it’s sort of handsome, in a Harry Porter kind of way. Geeky, yet ever enthusiastic. One could even say it’s inclined towards the fanatical. Sounds British-y too. Even magical, like a Latin spell.

But, what did I mean by it though? What was I thinking? Maybe, it is a spell...

Oh, well. I can’t make heads or tails of it, and the muse is curled up by the fire with the cat, and I’m out of time, so I can’t even end this right and take a proper leave! 

The point to remember is even if your muse deserts you, the computer wont. 




No comments:

Post a Comment